TINNEVELLY DIOCESAN TRUST ASSOCIATION
TDTA Tirunelveli Diocese

Keela Sadayamankulam

EAST SADAYAMANKULAM PASTORATE

All Saint’s Church, East Sadayamankulam

Industry and agriculture had earned the  name “Little Colombo” to this fertile little village Christianized  by Tirunelveli Apostle Rev. Rhenius.  Today 90% of the villagers are Christians in this village.

When Rev. CTE Rhenius established the Church here in 1820, there were 4 Christian families only.  The original thatched roof church had been burnt several times and church property stolen.  The congregation were devout and enthusiastic.  The foundation stone for a new church was laid by the Rt.Rev.AG Jebaraj on 22.02.1954 and dedicated after a  long time on 01.11.1962. 

The church tower was built and dedicated on 01.11.1972 by the Bishop BS Garret.  This was one of the few churches to have the public address system as early as 1972 and the first in that area.  The church was extended and dedicated  on 9.11.2006 by the Madurai – Ramanathapuram Bishop Rt.Rev. Thavaraj David Eames.  Since 01.04.2014 Keelasadayamankulam became a separate Pastorate with the following branch churches: 1.  Mela Sadayamankulam 2. M. Samathanapuram, 3. North Idayankulam  4. Pulavankudiyiruppu 5. Govindaperi  6. Uganthatchiyapuram.

JOHN’S CHURCH, MELA SADAYAMANKULAM.

The non-christians of Venkatarengapuram and Mela Sadayamankulam were evangelized by believers from Karisalpatti and became Christians.  They started worshipping in a Church cum school thatched building in the eastern side of the village.  On 04.09.1941, a new church was dedicated in the western side of the village by the Bishop  Rt.Rev. Selwyn.  The Church tower was dedicated by the Rt.Rev.S. Daniel Abraham on 27.09.1980.  Later the church was renovated and dedicated on 31.05.1991 by the Rt.Rev. Jason S. Dharmaraj.  The steeple was dedicated on 27.05.2005 by the Rt.Rev. S. Jeyapaul David.  Today the Church has 110 families.

JOHN’S CHURCH, M. SAMATHANAPURAM

The village, named Memorial Samathanapuram during the Centenary celebrations of the CSI Tirunelveli Diocese was Christianized in 1880 by the Apostle Rhenius, who dedicated a thatched church on 24.07.1890.  The present church was dedicated on 18 July 1966, extended in 2006 and compound wall was built in 2009. There are 160 families worshiping the Lord.

NORTH IDAIYANKULAM

A church cum school had been established here in 1836 by Apostle Rhenius.  In 1942 five Christian families came together to buy a land and built a tiled building.  In 2002 a new church was built.  The school and the Church started functioning in separate buildings.  The church has been extended recently.

STEPHEN’S CHURCH, PULAVANKUDIYIRUPUU

This village had been evangelized by Apostle Rhenius between 1823 and 1827.  There were a thatched church building and a small school.  The church was damaged between 1935 and 1940, another thatched church was built, which was also damaged.  In 1955 another thatched building was erected and services were conducted.

In 1976 a few CMS families joined the church.  The congregation felt the need for a bigger church.  With efforts taken  by Rev. Balraj, on 23.12.1979, the new church was dedicated by the Bishop. Daniel Abraham.  In 2005 compound wall was provided on the eastern and southern sides.  In 2008, the old church was demolished , foundation laid for new church and it was dedicated on 13.05.2012 by the Rt.Rev.Dr. JJ Christdoss.  Now there are 27 believing families in the church.

CHRIST CHURCH, GOVINDHAPERI

Apostle Rhenius visited Govindhaperi in 1824.  Raman was the first convert who was baptized as John.  In the same year a thatched church was erected between 1960 and 1961, the church was rebuilt and tiled.  In 1975, the church was extended with an alter.  Between 2009 and 2010, the steeple was built and dedicated. Today 80% of the villagers attend service in the church.

MATHEW’S CHURCH, UGANTHATCHIAPURAM

St. Mathew’s church is an ancient church in the diocese.  Apart from a brass lamp with the inscription that it had been donated in 1918, there is hardly any other detail available regarding the origin of the Church.  Many had left this village near the South Western Ghats and there are very few families now.