|Name||:||K. Baskaran BA BD|
|Date of Birth||:||12.06.1973|
|Place of Birth||:||Maruthakulam|
|wife||:||S.Ugin Mekala B.Lit. B.Ed, BD|
|Deacon Ordination||:||03.07.2016 Holy Trinity Cathedral, Palayamkottai.|
St. Paul’s Church, Vasudevanallur
St. Paul’ Church in Vasudevanallur that was extended and brought under Sivagiri Pastorate in Pottalpatti Circle is and an old Church that was in the Sankarankovil circle. During the times of presbyters Rev. Barren Brook and Rev.Ragland the members were worshipping in a tile roofed building. When Jesudason Nadar in Kannanoor came forward to bear the cost of the church and it was built and dedicated on 3.3.1985 by the Rt.Rev. Jason S. Dharmaraj. The Church grew and so the church was extended and dedicated on 29.07.2012 by the Rt.Rev. JJ Christdoss. The foundation for the Bell Tower was laid laid on 02.11.2012 by Rev. Kingsly John and work was completed in 2013.Since, in 01.04.2014 Vasudevanallur has become a independent Pastorate, the Rt.Rev. JJ Christdoss led the first Harvest Festival and dedicated the Bell Tower on 21.03.2014.
PAUL’S CHURCH, RAMANATHAPURAM
Ramanathapuram was the first Christian in 1957 when Paalsamy became Paul Stephen and married Mary Thangathai. The Presbyter from Pottalpatti used to come and celebrate Holy Communion service in Mr. Paul Stephen’s house. Then Ramasamy Nadar who became Rajan joined the Church through his marriage. In 1979 the number increased and four families were visited by the Pastorate Chairman from Sivagiri once a month when Holy Communion was given. In 1981 they rented a house and it was then Rev. Devaraj Gnanasingh acquired a piece of land for constructiing a church that was completed in 1993. By then the church increased through Sunday services, fasting prayer & All night Prayers.
This growing Church started its journey with families who worshipped in houses. In 2002 foundation was laid for a church building. Construction started in 2004 and work was completed in 2007. Now there are seventeen families mainly from Hindu poojari families.
St. Peter’s Church in Sokkalingapuram comprises of a congregation zealous for the Lord in the midst of fanatic communities. The Church started functioning in a rented house with six families, who were marginalised by the other villagers. God found them faithful. A Church was built in 1937 and dedicated. The front porch was completed in 1986.
Even before 1940, St. James’s Church in Panaiyoor was functioning in a small hut along with a school for children. Gradually the thatched hut was tiled. With the efforts taken by Mr. J. Rathinasamy a church was built and dedicated by the Bishop. Jason S. Dharmarajon 14.06.1989, when Rev. P. Abraham Peter was Presbyter.
ZION TABERNACLE, DURAISAMYPURAM, IDAIKAL
The Christians in Duraisamypuram had been trekking to Kadaiyanallur, Senkottai and other places for worship. Duraisamypuram is 7 Kms far from Zion Nagar Partorate in Tenkasi Circle. In May 2010, a thatched tabernacle was erected in a rented piece of land and worship was started there by Rev. ID Stephen, North Church Council Chairman, Unfortunately in a few months the thatched shed were destroyed due to natural calamities and service was conducted in rented buildings. Later the elders in Zion Nagar donated money and bought a 5 cent land. A church was built and dedicated by the Bishop Rt.Rev. JJ Christdoss.
The members of East Sivanthipuram effectively performed Evangelical work and Children Ministry among the residents of Kamaraja Nagar which encouraged them to procure 13.5 cents land in the locality. This land was registered on 15.11.2000 and transferred from Mr. John Ponniah’s possession to the authority of Rev. K. Masilamony on behalf of Tirunelveli Diocese. Then on the Children Ministry went on unhindered under the involvement of Mr. David Kovilpillai, family of Mr. Dasayyan and many young girls of the church. In 07-10-2005 permission was sanctioned for construction of a building for Sewing School by the then Panchayat President Mr. A. F. Joseph. On 22.01.2006 a grand function was organized in the building by Sewing School, Christmas Tree festival of the Church and the Sunday School day. Rev. DJ. Jebaraj BA BD, was the presbyter and Mr. D.D.Devasirvatham was the Catechist at that time. Mr. D. David Jebaraj and Mr. E. Alex followed subsequently as Catechists. Though in 2006 some slackness developed in the ministry Mrs. Anbu continued Children Ministry. In 2009 the ministry again picked momentum as Rev. J. Justin took over as the Presbyter who appointed Mr.V. Anthoniraj as the Catechist. The ministry in Sewing Center brought two converts Ms. Meena and Ms. Lakshmi. They joined ministry with the Catechist and in end of 2011 during Calvary Church fasting prayer many children testified their experience of visions and prophesy. In 12.08.2012 youth from East Sivanthipuram church conducted a revival meeting. In the beginning of 2012 the ministry developed some slackness but God raised Mrs. Jeyanthi Jeyakoil and Mrs. J. Grace Helen Ruby who by their Prayer Fellowship brought in many new souls into the church.
In 2014, under the intervention of Rev. K. Arulraj Pichaimuthu and Rev. J. Selvaraj the Bishop Rt. Rev. J.J. Christudoss gave church status to the community Hall. Then with involvement of West Sivanthipuram Presbyter Rev. J. Maduram, MA BD 0n 28.10.2014 ten families were added to the church through baptism. A first Marriage Service was conducted on 13.11.2014. The evangelical work of the church was assisted by missionaries Mr. J.L.N. Ponniah and Mr. J.Arputharaj. Now the church is growing with Divine Blessings and earthly Blessings too.
HISTORY OF THE CHURCH
In 2003 a group of members of the Mela Sivanthipuram pastorate, under the leadership of Rev. Masillamani and Catechist Mr. Ibrahim and Mr. Jeyaraj (Kamala Stores) evangelized this area every Sunday evening very sincerely, followed by prayer in the vacant land of Mr. Dasayyan at Ullaasanagar. The church took roots in a thatched hut of Mr. Arulpandi and Mrs. Chandra Suganantham with just four members. On 10.02.2004 the Communion Service started by Rev. Samuel Prakash and Mr. S. Rajith, the Catechist with 10 communicants. Rev. Samuel Prakash continued as the Presbyter till 31.06.2004. Rev. DJ. Jebaraj followed suite and he showed interest in the ministry at Ullaasnagar. On 10.10.2005 Rev. Dr. M. Christy Chakravarthi, Presbyter of Perumalpuram Pastorate visited the place with his church members for ministry. They witnessed the church functioning in a thatched hut and the hurdles and abuses they were facing there. The church at Perumalpuram had a standing commitment to construct one church in a year. The church members were burdened to build a church at Ullaasnagar In 2005 the foundation stone was laid by P Rev. Dr. N.Christy Chakravarthy the Pastorate Chairman of Perumalpuram. With active involvement of Rev. DJ. Jebaraj, Pastorate Chairman and Bro. Jeyaraj (Kamala Store) funds were mobilized and the church building was completed. On 22.04.2007 the church was dedicated by Rt.Rev. Dr. Jeyapaul David, Bishop in Tirunelveli and President of National Council of Churches in India.
Rev. Justin took over as Presbyter from 01.07.2009. In the eastern side of the Ullaasnagar Church under Sivanthipuram Panchayat there was a heathen temple. During festivals they used to go in procession around our church and dance on the church mandapam. When resisted they insisted to ban loud speakers on church tower. They were taking steps to acquire vacant land adjacent to church to build a temple. Rev. Justin stepped up action to mobilize funds to buy the land and register it with the Diocese as per procedure. A toilet facility, a bore well and Generator were installed with Panjayat permission so that the land is effectively utilized. No more eruptions took place and the church celebrated all festivities with joy and happiness. Since 02.06.13 Rev. J. Selvaraj took over as Pastorate Chairman and guided the church in more evangelical work and new souls were added into the church. Since 04-06-2014 Rev. J. Madhuram took over as Pastorate Chairman. Mr. S. Ranjith continued as Catechist with enhanced Rs. 1000 salary and he is also the secretary of LCF. Mr. S. Jebaraj is the treasurer. Monthly account statement was read out in the church. The church which started with 4 families has grown to 50 families in 10 years.
Pastorate Missionaries :
1.J.L. Ponnaiah 01.10.2006..
2.J. Arulraj 01.10.2006…
ST. JOHN’S CHURCH, AGASTHIYARPATTI
During 1993 the Christians residing at Gopalnagar and Ponnagar areas of Agasthiarpatti had to travel all the way to Mela Sivanthipuram or Vikramasingapuram for worship. It was very difficult to travel with family for 4 to 5 Kms especially during Festival Seasons. The advent of church formation at Agasthiarpatti emerged as Bro. Selwyn Joel residing there was inspired by God to offer his residence for conducting worship service as a forerunner. This thought was shared with Bro. Swamidhas and Bro. Rajaiah of Ponnagar village. This thought was further strengthened with encouragement received from other volunteers Bros. Anthonibabu, Sugumar, Paulraj, S.Kovil and Sellappan who joined the team. As a Divine blessing Bro. Joshua, owner of Oxford English School, came forward to offer his school premises for worshiping on Sundays. Few elders approached Rev. ARGST. Barnabbas, Presbyter of V.K Puram Pastorate and got his acceptance to conduct worship service. Mr. T. Christopher Solomon was appointed as the first Catechist.
The inauguration of the church service was led by Chairman of the West Council Rev. P. Devadasan who delivered the first Sermon of Blessing chosen from Genesis 12 : 22 and prayed. Due exhortation was given by Pastorate Chairman Rev. A.R. G.S.T. Barnabbas for the physical and financial growth of the church. The first Local Church Committee was constituted and among them following persons were chosen:
In their first meeting of the LCF on 04.07.1993 held soon after the Sunday Worship it was decided to name the New Church as St. John’s Church. On 28.11.1993 Mr. R. Joseph was appointed as the part time Sexton. The Church Committee decided to locate at least 20 cents of land for Church construction. But God opened the heart of Mr. Thangavasanam who offered to sell 67 cents of his land located in between Agasthiarpatti and Ponnanager. Later God offered to buy another 20 cents of land annexed to it from a good friend. The first building for worship was of 30×20 thatched shed with sand flooring. Later it was extended to house 20×40 Asbestos roofing with cemented flooring. At this stage on 20.11.1993 the foundation stone for 80×40 church building was laid by Bishop Rt. Rev. Jason Dharmaraj. Great encouragement was received from Rev. S. Manikkam, Pastorate Chairman of V.K.Puram pastorate for construction of this church. All the members of the congregation showered flowers on the land and prayed earnestly for earlier construction of the church building.
Initially there was a delay in getting approval from the District Collector for the church building. With the intervention of Mr. Charles of Thirukkadamai the approval was sanctioned. The preliminary church was constructed by collecting Sand and bricks transported by a lorry freely serviced by Mr. S. M. Paulraj, son of Mr. Thangadurai and many church members volunteered to physically involve in the construction, which was a memorable sight to watch. It reminded us of the work executed by the remnant in Israel who constructed the walls of the Lord’s temple under the leadership of Nehemiah. In the same way the zeal shown by the church members along with their family while construction of the final church tower, by toiling day and night despite heavy rains also is worthy to be recorded here.
Following avenues were trod by the church committee for mobilizing funds for the church building :
The new church building was completed and was dedicated for God’s Glory by Bishop Rt. Rev. Jayapaul David on 27th March 2003.
Since the inception of the church till 1991 M/s Christopher Solomon Vedhamani, Samuel, Gandhi, D. David were subsequently took the responsibility as Catechists. Our Lord who respects the small beginning of the church with nine members has grown into a church with 105 families as communicants. Let us praise God for such countless blessings.
HOLY ABISHEGANATHAR CHURCH
Arumagampatti village is situated in the Sivanthipuram Panjayath under the Ambasamuthram Thaluk. 30 Christian families were residing in this area 65 years ago. These people had to travel 2 and-a-half km to attend church worship at Holy Calvary church in Melasivanthipuram Pasorate. In those days, since villages were not electrified, they had travel under the guidance of Hurricane Lamps during night hours for festival worship. Few elders in this village, referred mainly, M/s R.S. Yesuvadian, R.S. Abraham, Seenivasagam and Duraipandi were burdened to pray earnestly desired for construction of a church here. At this juncture the sons of Late Mr. Swamidhas were inspired to contribute eight cents of land for this purpose. Then the locality was christened as Swaminthasapuram and Holy Abisheganathar church started growing there with initial contribution of Rs.65 per family of those 30 members. With further contributions the walls were erected with calcium stones and the roof was constructed with tiles on Palmarah timbers, which was contributed by Mr. Seenivasagam.
While the church was under construction a small shed with Plamarah leaves was constructed and was dedicated as ‘Swamidasapuram Holy Abishegarathar Church’ by Bishop Stephen Neil in the year 1949. From that day worship started in this shed with just a plate bell to chime the service time. In 1956, Mr. Chellasamy Writer took steps to get electrical connection for the church. He got the entire related charges for electrification from Mr. Mahadevan Iyer of Ambasamuthram. From 1956 the worship was carried out under electoral power. In 1973 the congregation members contributed brass vessels which was the source metal for the making of the church Brass Bell. A tower was built with Teak wood and since then the bell started chiming for the call to worship.
The main church construction started with foundation stone being laid on 29.05.1987 and started progressing under the leadership of M/s R. Anthony, S. Jebamani, Yesuvadian and Abraham and the rest of the congregation. The construction was supported by contribution of Rs.1000 each of the members employed in M/s Harvey Mills and the rest as per their capability. One lady donor contributed the charges for constructing the entire RC roofing. The 50 x 20 church completed its construction by 27.04.2988. In the same year the church was dedicated by Bishop Rt. Rev. S. Jason Dharmaraj, M.A.,B.D.,DD. That year the worship was conducted by presbyter Rev. G. Vedanayagam, M.A.,B.D., and the Catechist Mr. S. John Samuel. At present the church is having a membership of 300 families and Rev. J. Madhuram holds the responsibility as the presbyter and A. Samuel is the Catechist.
Parappadi village is situated in the Nanguneri – Tisayanvillai road about 11km from Nanguneri. In Parappadi a Government High School is functioning at Annanagar. People had to attend their worship at Holy Trinity Church, Parappadi. During Rev. SAE Joshua’s period as Pastorate Chairman of Parappadi, fervent prayers and frequent visits of Ms. Kaniammal and Ms. Swarnarathnam brought in a worship center in the house of one Mr. Rasalaiyan. This continued for one and half years. On 15th of August 1993 a thatched roof shed of 15’ x 8’ was constructed in the locality and worship service was conducted. On 31st August 1993 the first Communion Church was conducted by Rev. Jebamoney and the church was named as Marurooba Alayam. This continued for next five years with morning and evening services conducted regularly. 13 families took part in the services.
In 1998 September, 22nd during the tenure of Parappadi East Pastorate Chairman Rev. S. V. Appadurai Gnanaraj, the foundation stone was laid by Chairman of South Council of Churches Rev. V. Vedhamuthu Ponraj. Since the locality of the church was in common market place efforts were taken with the then Collector Mr. Niranjan Madi to get approval for 7.2 cents and permit was obtained for church building. Following philanthropists contributed for the construction of the church along with members of the church who contributed their mite.
On 29th May, 1999 the church building was completed and it was dedicated by Rt. Rev. Jason Dharmaraj, Bishop in Tirunelveli. In 2012 under the Bishop Rt.Rev.Dr. JJ. Christudoss the church was declared as Parappadi East (Annanagar) Pastorate as the head quarters of all eight churches in Parappadi East locality with Rev. ARGST Barnabbas as the Presbyter. Those churches are :
In the tenure of Rev. John Samuel foundation stone was laid for a 1140 sq.ft. Parsonage and Mr. M. Samuelraj and family took charge of constructing it and the work is in progress.
Catechists who served:
Deacons who served :
Ainthangal is a location Nanguneri – Viyayanarayanam Road 2.5km from Navy INS Kattabommban camp. Vijanarayanam kulam receives water through five canals and hence the place gets the name Ainthangal.
Long time ago it is told that a team of Christians from Nazareth stayed in the village for one week and evangelized in the area. Then a Missionary from Nazareth performed ministry there. This was followed by the family of Mr. Michael Raj from Vadivaalpuram stayed in the village and evangelized there.
Then a British Missionary encouraged the converts to construct a church there. In 1919 foundation stone was laid but construction was sluggish. This again started by 1929 upto lintel level and stopped for want of funds. Since five families joined the church worship services were conducted in a school building. The roof and floor construction was again revived during the period of Rev. M.K. Israel Thanaraj in 1978. Mr. M. Israel, Catechist and few teachers of the Parappadi School assisted in the construction work. On 15th April 1979 on the day of Easter the church was dedicated to Resurrected Lord’s Glory by Rt. Rev. Daniel Abraham, Bishop in Tirunelveli and the church was named as Resurrection Church (Uyirthezhuthalin Aalayam). In 2008 the Church front Tower was constructed and dedicated by Rev. Augustin Gnanaraj.
At present there are 25 families members in the church of which 7 families are staying elsewhere for their work. Mr. Mohan Justin is the Catechist at present. The following is the list of Catechists:
Sadayaneri is a primitive village situated six kilometers in the north-east of Parappadi East Church. European Missionaries Rev. C.J. Renius and Rev. Edward Seargent ministered in this village during 1847-49 and 1843-52 respectively. In July 1849 the church was formed by Rev. D. Yesudasan of Suvisheshapuram church and took over as the fifth Presbyter. The first baptism took place on 10th September, 1856 for three persons and in 1860 for two more persons. This initiative led to construction of a thatched shed was constructed for worship. In 1875 a thatched roof church was constructed. In 1880 a missionary home was constructed. By 1990 there were 10 male and 5 female congregates attended the worship. In 1915 a tile roofed church was constructed in the third step.
During the period of Rev. V. A. David, in 1925 they mobilized allotment of 1 acre and 50 cents of land around the church. During the tenure of Rev. I. J. Iyyadurai, on 3rd July 1929 this church was rededicated by Rt. Rev. Western, Bishop of Tirunelveli Diocese as the fourth church. In 1971 there was migration of many members to other churches. In 2005 under Rev. P.D.Muthuraj the church was further extended and rededicated for the 5th time by Rt. Rev.S Jayapaul David.
List of Catechists :
List of Catechists :
CSI St. JOHN’S CHUCH
Malayankudiyiruppu is a village situated 4km away from Valliyur – Thiruchendur road. Few Malayalees from Kerala stayed there for agriculture in the past and hence the place was named as Malyalee kudiyiruppu and changed to Malayankudiyiruppu. The first missionary in this place was Mr. S. Thaveedu. He was from Srilanka and did ministry in many parts of Tirunelveli and finally settled at Malayankudiyiruppu and did ministry in thatched shed till his in 1900 and buried there and his grave is still identified as a monument. During his tenure the worshipers used come prepared with food on Saturday itself so that they could join Mr. Thaveedu and go in for evangelizing surrounding villages.
After his demise there were frequent quarrels between this village with people of surrounding villages. The believers prayed earnestly outside the church and for a sign to confirm peace with surrounding villages. As they were praying the locks on the church door were miraculously opened. After this incident there was great peace established with their neighbours.
During 1910 the place was evangelized by few missionaries from Parappadi and Suvisheshapuram leading to construction of a renewed thatched shed church for worship. Few renowned people of the church who joined the ministry were Mr. Jacob, Mr. Rajayyah and Mr. Aseervatham. Mr. Rajayaah who is 110 years old and alive now narrated all these details.
Church Details :
List of Catechists :
Kamaraja Nagar village is situated at 3 km south of Parappadi East on Nanguneri – Thisainvillai road. It was named after National Leader Kanaraj after his to this place and their request. It is believed that in 1960/61 the church had its beginning in a shed for Khadi Spinner. They started with night prayers in the street corner which later became a worship center at the shed with Mr. Gnanaiah as the Catechist.
In 1968 the foundation stone for a church was laid under the period of Rev. Samuel Jayaraj with Mr. Joseph Swamikkan as the Catechist who took the entire cost of construction of the church. This church was dedicated by Bishop of Tirunelveli Diocese Rt. Rev. Garret. It was rededicated by Rt. Rev. Dr. J.J.Christudoss, Bishop in Tirunelveli during the tenure of Rev. ARGST Barnabbas as the presbyter. 28 families were attending the church with Mr. Y. Selwyn as the Catechist.